Jan 29, 2009

25 More Random Things

I’ve read so many more of these lists on Facebook, I decided to make one more. I needed to get in a second exercise before I do it again in 10 or 20 years. It's been therapeutic.

1. I’ve lived in Indianapolis, Los Angeles and San Diego (and one summer in Maine as well as Chicago). I also regularly spend time in Wisconsin with family.
2. I highlighted my hair once when I lived in L.A. The one and only time that will ever happen.
3. As a kid I inherited giant tinker toys from my brothers. I used to turn them into instruments and microphone stands and lip synch/air jam to tunes on the radio.
4. During college I worked as a pot washer and then a waiter at a sorority. One of the best jobs ever. Great food (every meal) and it’s where I met my wife.
5. I have a Masters in Kinesiology. I focused on Sports Marketing and Management. To get a bit more out of it, I received special permission to take several classes in the business school and elsewhere.
6. I became friends with one of my very best friends in graduate school. The ironic thing is we worked together at the sorority when I was an undergrad. Things change when you attempt to really get to know somebody.
7. I’ve worked for 4 dot-coms. All still up and successful (phew!). It’s been a roller coaster ride.
8. Grad school is what led me to working on the Web. AOL was just getting very popular and I had my first laptop. The Web in turn allowed me to create a business I could manage on the side for my music and have some balance.
9. In college I earned money in the summers mostly by washing windows (homes), working retail (Gap, Gap Kids), being a counselor at a sports and performing arts camp (Maine), and being a lifeguard. Many days I’d work 2 jobs.
10. I recorded my first piano album the spring of 1998. It was demo album called “Broad Uncertainty.” I’ve since improved upon, renamed and rerecorded many of the songs.
11. My favorite quote is from Eleanor Roosevelt - “The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.”
12. My favorite Atari games were Berserk and Frogger. I remember spending $50 of my own money to buy Berserk! My favorite arcade game was Karate Champ.
13. When not on Atari, I played outside all the time as kid. Usually until dusk. I remember falling from a tree one day and catching my underarm on the last limb. Yikes.
14. My movie star crush is Ashley Judd. My wife’s is Clive Owen.
15. I try my best not to judge others. We learn from both success and mistakes. If you’re passionate about something, go for it. If your gut isn’t in it, take a different path.
16. My nickname with friends in high school was Norm. Others called me Robbie. (Mitzi, if you’re reading this, you know this well).
17. My wife and I keep a map and put pins in all the places we’ve traveled to. Makes for some good memories when we take a look at it. And, encourages us to go make more.
18. I drink a Naked juice (so good for you) just about every morning when I wake up.
19. I wrecked my first car when I was 16. It was the day after I got my license and I was picking up a date. I hit a fire hydrant on my driver’s side door when entering the driveway. Explaining more is still too embarrassing.
20. With the exception of Twizzlers, I don’t have much of a sweet tooth. I love breads and cheese.
21. I’ve had six surgeries. Two knee, and one for carpal tunnel syndrome, hernia, sinus and a tonsillectomy.
22. I’ve worked from home the past 6+ years. I hope to keep it this way. I know it wouldn’t work for everyone, but it works for me. I get so much more done each day and I get to spend more time with my family.
23. Being a dad is an amazing, unexplainable joy. I’ve grown immensely (I think). :)
24. I’ve been punched in the face one time. I believe I was 10. It hurt…bad. Not a good way to resolve a dispute.
25. In college, one of my elementary school crushes (who really made it clear she didn’t like me at the time), tried to pick me up. About 13 years too late, I was already taken. :)