Sep 16, 2008

A 296 Year Old Violin

My wife and I had the absolute pleasure of seeing Joshua Bell perform last Saturday night with the Indianapolis Symphony Orchestra (at the Hilbert Circle Theatre). He performed Concerto No. 3 in B Minor for Violin and Orchestra, Op. 61, by Camille Saint-Saëns. My understated single word review = Wow (and that's not just because he's a fellow Indiana University graduate). To get a small taste, Joshua received a standing ovation and was drawn out from backstage 3 times to take another bow.

He plays a 1713 Gibson ex Huberman Stradivarius. Amazing story behind it, which can be read here.

Little know fact... I wrote Joshua back in late 2004 in an effort to get him to appear on Woods of Chaos. I was thinking "Friend" or "Not Alone" could use a good dose of solid violin. Not to my surprise he was already booked solid for 3 years. At least I heard back. :)
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]