Mar 23, 2007

My take on marriage

The topic of marriage has been on my mind after some recent observations as well as questions directed my way. I'm not an expert, but I have been married several years. My wife and I married very young (by today's standards). I felt no need to wait around. You know when you know. Stop being scared. It's never going to be easy. Marriage takes compromise. The issues surrounding separation and divorce typically relate to marrying for the wrong reasons or bad communication (e.g. pressure from family or friends, your age, "thinking" your in love, not truly living love).

Here is some good advice my eldest brother (Andy) once gave me: "...make sure you're head over heals..."

Awhile back I recorded and shared (yet mildly hesitant) a history of my song "I Do." I received a lot of positive response. This recording was included on a version of CastBlaster.


Rob Costlow - History of "I Do"

"Our housekeeping is mendicant, our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion we have not chosen but society has chosen for us."
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson, American transcendentalist philosopher, essayist & lecturer (1803 - 1882)

"Keep your eyes wide open before marriage, half shut afterwards."
~ Benjamin Franklin, American entrepreneur, statesman, scientist & philosopher (1706 - 1790)